View Single Post
Old 22-07-04, 09:46 PM   #25
Heathcliff
One half won't do

Tongue 3 That's my que...

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi
if it means expressing it by beating each other to a bloody pulp i think they always have been..

it seems weird and hard to understand what a patriot is..defending your side of politics isnt patriotisim..but i am pretty sure some people think it is..

It's pretty hard not to react defensively against people who want to ram their worldview down our throats against vast public outcry and science and common human decency. These neo-Dark Ageists want to install Fundamentalist Christianity as the state government, make women and minorities chattel, and wage total war against the whole world if they don't hand over the loot and bow down before the supposed Lost 10 Tribes of Israel. It is utterly outrageous and unacceptable and yet they are as vehement and maniacal as any Talibaner about it.

Look at what one historian says:

'Whatever its motivation, the Republicans' partisan assault on democracy displays a will to power unlike any seen in our country since the fire-eater secessionist movement of the 1850s that led to the creation of the southern Confederacy... The current Republican Party has no need for secessionism (although its pandering to racist Confederate sensibilities in the South has long been one of its key political weapons). What it shares with the fire-eaters is an implacable will to dominate and a combination of cynicism and contempt for our democratic constitutional procedures. This is not hard-knuckled politics as usual. It is radical and abnormal. It has already degraded American democracy. And it portends a crisis in our politics as great as any since the era of Reconstruction."
Sean Wilentz, the Dayton-Stockton Professor of History at Princeton

If this Heathcliff winds up in one of their gulags it won't be for lacking trying to do something about it ahead of time.