View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 01:05 PM   #110
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
whether or not we want the big oil companies at the table when we're discussing alternatives to oil, they're gonna be there. They have the capital resources to change things in a big way
Yip.

Quote:
all our fuel be produced within our borders for the sake of creating jobs and decreasing our dependence on OPEC.
Yip.

Quote:
The basic premise of the AGW theory is that we have been altering our environment for more than a century, so 'carrying on' is not the same as doing nothing.
Point.

Quote:
I've always maintained that we need to be able to adapt to climate changes no matter what's causing the climate to change.
Given. It's not exclusively the human race and its adaptability that's at issue however.

Quote:
With the proper application of knowledge and foresight there's no excuse for moderate global warming to end up having a net negative effect on us.
Point, however 'proper foresight' will not be found in the insistence that global warming 'doesn't exist' or is 'no big deal,' which is why I feel so strongly about the misguided indifference--often manifest as quasipolitical opposition--to the premise. I think we're agreed on this too.

Quote:
Environmental protection policies should be pursued to benefit public health and to maintain this nation's natural beauty, not to further a left-wing ideology.
I'd want to insert this world's in place of this nation's, but I agree wholeheartedly. I love my planet.

The crazy thing is how these concerns got to be seen, in the eyes of so many, as an almost exclusive part of left-wing ideology while seeming to have been almost excised from right-wing ideology, the so called "conservatives." Of course you've partly answered the question and therein lies a whole history of issues in itself.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote