View Single Post
Old 07-05-05, 06:40 AM   #5
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
A U.S. appeals court on Friday threw out new federal rules to require anti-piracy technology that would have limited how consumers could record and watch their favorite television programs in the future.

The three-judge panel for the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia determined the Federal Communications Commission had exceeded its authority when it announced it would require such technology in digital televisions and other consumer electronic devices sold after July 1.
this is a very good thing for our side, but watch for the full-court lobbying press by Big Media to shove this thing thru Congress now that it's been established that the FCC was out of it's element.

i loved the reaction on Boing-Boing:
Quote:
My first day on the job at EFF was at the first meeting where they were negotiating the Broadcast Flag, a set of rules for restricting the features of digital television devices to those that were approved by the Hollywood executives who tried to ban the VCR. The rules set out to ban the use of Open Source/Free Software in digital television applications, and to require hardware components to be designed to be hard or impossible to create open drivers for. Fox exec Andy Setos told me that we were there to create "a polite marketplace" where no one would be allowed to disrupt his business model without getting his permission and cooperation first (cough planned economy cough commies cough).

I'm honored and thrilled to have been part of the gigantic upswelling of public outcry over this naked attempt to bootstrap the studios' limited monopoly over copying movies into an unlimited monopoly over the design of every device that might be used to copy a movie.

And to the studio execs whom I faced across the table, who shouted at us and excluded us and told us that this was going to happen no matter what: NEENER NEENER NEENER.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote