View Single Post
Old 09-08-06, 01:34 PM   #12
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I just don't see where our neighbors, especially Quebec, will be interested in such a thing. Europe seems content to let the EU dictate trade policy and commerce to them, but North America is nothing like Europe. We have more natural resources, more than twice the land area, a larger percentage of undeveloped land, two thirds of the population, and a much shorter history. These are the adolescent years of America, and I don't see us giving up our national identites altogether. We won't reach the same critical mass that Europe has for an other century. And though a few cities on our continent are scurrying to globalize themselves, the heartland is maintaining the status quo. The proposed shipping corridor might give the heartland a violent push into the modern world, but I would expect the people to push back just as hard, as is their right as Americans. Let the corporations be damned, they're going to have to wait a while for us to be despairate enough to merge North America into one nation.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote