View Single Post
Old 12-05-06, 04:13 PM   #7
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Default since you put it this way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
LOL!!! Seems you know less about Canadian politics as you do American politics. Wow, very scary. Oh yes the great and powerful PQ government is the reason the budget passed for the good of Canadians. LoL. Nobody outside Quebec gives a shit about the PQ party, Harper’s government is trying to give a little more to Quebec to hopefully stop the consistent whining coming out of that province. So you think the Liberals want another election right now? You do know they don’t even have a leader right now -- right? Why would a party with no leader want an election? Now to the NDP, why on earth would they want another election? They lost seats a few months ago so why would they think they could win more now? But you kno, I am not in Quebec so maybe that is the BS the west is telling the whiners there, That the PQ is the survivor for Canada…..hahahaha!!!!! ohhhhh, that’s a good one, you made my day……
FYI

PQ = Parti Québécois, it's provincial, not federal. It has nothing to do with supporting Harper's federal budget. The Bloc Québécois on the other hand is the one who approved Harper's fed budget, if it wasn't for them, it wouldn't have passed since the libreals and the NPD are against it, in your wisdom, tell me what would have happened if the Bloc didn't approved Harper's new federal spending?

Remember Joe Clark? I do and I don't see why the same thing would happen if the Bloc didn't support Harper on his new budget. Here's something to refresh your memory

Quote:
Prime Minister

Joe Clark's efforts would prove successful, and on June 4, 1979, at age 39, he became Canada's youngest prime minister, after defeating Trudeau's Liberal government in the May 1979 general election. Clark was the first Conservative to head Canada's federal government since the defeat of John Diefenbaker in the 1963 election. He was also the first Alberta-based prime minister since R.B. Bennett (and the last until the 2006 election of Stephen Harper). Joe Clark also carries the unique distinction of being the only Canadian politician to ever defeat Pierre Trudeau in a federal election.

But with a minority government in the House of Commons, Clark had to rely on the support of the Social Credit Party with its 6 seats or the New Democratic Party (NDP) with its 26 seats. Without this support, he was subject to defeat by the Liberals at any time.

Social Credit was below the 12 seats needed for official party status in the House of Commons. However, the six seats would have been just enough to give Clark's government a majority had the Progressive Conservatives formed a coalition government with Social Credit, or had the two parties otherwise agreed to work together. Clark managed to lure Socred MP Richerd Janelle to the government caucus but this still left the Conservatives short. Clark however declared that he would govern as if he had a majority[1] and refused to grant the small Social Credit caucus official party status or form a coalition or co-operate with the party in any way.

During the 1979 election campaign, Clark had promised to cut taxes to stimulate the economy. However, once in office he adopted a budget designed to curb inflation by slowing economic activity, and also proposed an 18 cent per Imperial gallon tax on gasoline in order to reduce the budgetary deficit. Finance Minister John Crosbie touted the budget as "short term pain for long term gain". Though Clark had hoped this change in policy would work to his advantage, it actually earned him widespread animosity as a politician who could not keep his promises, even in such a short period.

Clark's refusal to work with the Social Credit, combined with the 18 cent gas tax, led to the his government's defeat in the House of Commons in December 1979. The Liberals voted with the NDP on a Motion of No Confidence related to the Clark government's budget, moved by NDP MP Bob Rae. The five members of the Social Credit had demanded the tax revenues be allocated to Quebec and when that was turned down, they abstained which ensured the vote's passage...
From

Now tell me, if the Bloc didn't support Harper, the same thing would have happened, it did once, what would have been different this time around? Keep laughing all you want but if it wasn't for the Bloc, your golden boy would be in hot water. Trust me that the liberals would have had a speedy election as to who would be the next leader if another vote of no confidence would happen, Stephane Dion comes in mind, afterall, the libs have an exemplary track record of choosing french canadians to be their new leader (beside the exception of Paul Martin).

Oh, and keep calling us Whiners, afterall, it was the libs that decided to spend MILLIONS of dollars to promote Canada friendship and unity to the Quebec residents, for what ever good it did, beside depriving hard working citizen like you of their tax dollars

Now i'm laughing

Dude, you really need to brush up on your politics to have forgotten such a big thing. It happened once, would have happened again if it wasn't from... Keep up with the ostridge attitude, it suits you well.

Now i'm really laughing

Oh and remember that the PQ is only provincial and can only ask for more money from the central government while the Bloc can and is affecting federal politics these days.
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote