View Single Post
Old 07-05-06, 11:52 AM   #5
miss_silver
Keebeck Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Color me ignorant, but the pros and cons of this kind of future aren't obvious to me. This issue seems to be a subset of the Nationalism versus Globalism debate which is itself fairly complicated. Would anybody care to explain this to me? Is voluntarily merging the three North American nations into one nation a good thing or a bad thing?
To me, it would be an extremly bad thing. Prolly would be the same for all french canadians. We have enough problems with our language that there is no way this province would accept to join such an alliance. As a Canadian point of view, i'm sure that all provinces would declare themselves independent of the canadian central government if they were forced to join such an alliance. The only reason why boy Harper is still standing in cabinet is because the Quebec Block is supporting Harper's new budget for canadians, if it weren't for the Bloc, we would find ourselves, yet again, facing another nationwide election. When the Bloc withdraw it's support, Harper's government will crumble

The last province to join the Canadian government was Newfoundland in 1949 and they did so because Canada decided to give them more land (a chunk of my province no less). Each provinces are a seperate entety and each province takes care of their own health system. The only thing I see useful about the Canadian Central gov is Mail services, unemployment insurances after loosing one's job and the Army. Beyond that, the Central gov laugh at us, see the sponsorship scandals...
miss_silver is offline   Reply With Quote