View Single Post
Old 05-05-04, 01:03 AM   #1
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Screwy Pinochet cover-up

US revisits Pinochet 'secrets'

To classify or not to classify, that is a question seemingly vexing US agents. Nearly 30 years ago, US spies decided Chilean President Augusto Pinochet was a charming, attractive and devoted husband who liked to drink pisco sours.

Five years ago, the Clinton White House thought the biography mundane enough to be made public in its entirety. But now the verdict on the man accused of human rights abuses is back among 14 million secrets classified last year, according to an independent watchdog.

Earlier this year, the US government's Information Security Oversight Office reported to the White House that 14,228,020 items had been classified during 2003, up from 11 million the previous year and eight million in 2001. But the non-governmental National Security Archive watchdog says one of those documents was the 1975 biography of Gen Pinochet which had already been released in its entirety....

Full Story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3683079.stm

Makes me want to get a copy of the original...

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote