View Single Post
Old 16-03-02, 09:26 AM   #8
assorted
WAH!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/24445.html

"Old Morpheus still works for unhacked users"

"Register reader Haavard Pettersen's recent experiences suggest someone had indeed tampered with people's computers to prevent them from using Morpheus.

When Pettersen tied to use an older version of Morpheus (on a Windows 98 partition), which he hadn't used since before Morpheus went down, he discovered to his surprise that it still worked.

In XP, he couldn't get either old Morpheus or Preview Edition to work, incidentally.

Russ Spooner, a security consultants at Interrorem and former Morpheus user, confirms Pettersen's experience.

"Clearly the Fast Track client part of the software (used in KaZaA, Grokster and Morpheus) has a backdoor in it that allows the knowledgeable few to fire special packets at clients logged into the Fast Track network which will enable them to modify registry settings," Spooner told us.

"It would appear that for a period of time they had effectively a login script sitting on the authentication servers that basically said 'if (client==morpheus ){ modify registry}'," he added.

The offending login script has now been removed, he notes, so now the original clients work fine, "just so long as they were not exposed to the evil pathogen".

Sharman Network Services is yet to respond to this latest allegation, and we'll fill you in if and when it does."

YOU MEAN SOFTWARE I THOUGHT I TRUSTED COULD MESS WITH MY REGISTRY SETTINGS?? MESS WITH MY COMPUTER???

look out kids.