View Single Post
Old 20-09-06, 06:20 PM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Because if we nuked them and they nuked us the distruction wouldn't be mutual. They simply don't have enough nukes to finish us off.
so, with respect to Iran and North Korea, it's not that the policy of MAD won't work against them, it's that the policy of MAD won't work against us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDixon
Any one care to discuss the very real threat posed by the China / Tiawan situation or are you all just going to continue with the smoke n mirror distraction of Iran and NK, neither of which are now or will be a threat to the USA for many many years?
i don't see China as a military threat, Taiwan notwithstanding. we are well along a path of economic interdependence with the Chinese, as Sinner illustrates. that in itself is the strongest motivation for countries to figure out a way to coexist. i think they will be a very real economic threat in the future but everyone will find it is in thier best interest to work out the Taiwan situation. this is a good thing, because Bush & Co. do not have the balls or the will to face them down over Taiwan. that whole "freedom is on the march" thing is a soundbite designed to provide cover for establishing hegmony in the Middle East - we will cheerfully abide repression and tyranny wherever it is convenient and/or profitable to do so.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote