Thread: The Rapture
View Single Post
Old 18-09-04, 02:34 AM   #1
Maze
Rebel With A Cause

Default The Rapture

Man, there is something hot going on here. Won't you download these songs and listen along with me? The singer is sometimes aweful, but the whole thing works somehow. They were a band that did a tribute to "The Cure" that teamed up with some producers that funked them up real good. I love "The Cure" and I love to dance ...so it was a perfect fit for me. A surprising find that I've enjoyed this past week. ...an accurate review:

The Rapture

Echoes

Originally released: 2003
Universal Music Group

The Rapture stand tall among New York's latest wave of art-damaged punk-disco bands. People like to compare these groups to early-Nineties British rave rockers. But the comparison doesn't work, because New York bands such as the Rapture, the Liars and !!! actually rock, while the Happy Mondays sucked, Jesus Jones sucked monkeys, and EMF sucked gorillas through a screen door. The key is rhythm: The acid-house bands got all soft and soggy, while the Rapture go for lean, jagged beats, all forward momentum and nervous aggression. Their long-awaited album Echoes is the big payback, fusing mean guitars and disco trance for a ferocious new breed of punk funk.

A few years ago, the Rapture were just your basic big-hair Cure tribute band. But then they hooked up with New York's ace production team DFA -- James Murphy and Tim Goldsworthy -- who funked them up something fierce. Under DFA's wing, the Rapture blew up with their amazing indie club hits "House of Jealous Lovers" (which is included here) and "Out of the Races and Onto the Tracks" (which isn't). The music is all doom and gloom: Luke Jenner wails his gothed-out love mantras over hypnotic synth beats, slashing guitar, bass rumbles and the occasional cowbell solo. It adds up to a psychotically shredded sound. The Big Star tribute ballad "Love Is All" is a surprise stroke, and percussionist Gabe Andruzzi proves himself one of the most influential cowbell players of our time, despite his unfortunate penchant for wearing head scarves onstage. It's the sound of the crowd, circa 2003: Give the drummer some, people, but don't forget to save a little love for the cowbell player.

ROB SHEFFIELD
(Rolling Stone 934, October 30, 2003)

The Rapture - Olio

The Rapture - I Need Your Love

The Rapture - House Of Jealous Lovers

The Rapture - Sister Savior
Maze is offline   Reply With Quote