Thread: P2P Anonymity
View Single Post
Old 22-01-03, 07:06 PM   #6
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Lightbulb Proactive Versus Reactive

Why not to start building value and legality into the P2P networks ?

A few months ago I burned my left forearm doing acrobatics while cooking.
I was alone and the pain was so acute that I couldn't think clearly.
I was using Soulseek at that moment and I remember thinking why the friggin' program couldn't have an emergency info section.
I had a cabinet full of medications but I didn't have the slightest idea what to use because the pain had no room for reasoning.

I needed clear and precise info fast, with no room for second guessing.

I was fortunate, I walked 30 yards to the firefighter station, and they treated me in their state of the art mobile rescue unit.

Upon returning and reading the flyer given to me, I realised that I had all the elements needed to take care of the situation already in the medicine cabinet.

The only element missing was information=knowledge.

This is only an example, but there a large number of uses that I don't wanna get into here, that could give P2P legitimacy beyond copyright limitations.

With each user allocating a few megs to that purpose the possibilities are almost limitless.

Furthermore, if you go to a judge and show him bonafide legal value the fight wouldn't be so one sided, and P2P programs would have at least a leg to stand on.

And if someone think I'm peddling legality just to smuggle piracy into the mix, let me assure you, while looking at the scar in my left arm, that it is the other way around.

spstn is offline   Reply With Quote