View Single Post
Old 28-03-02, 05:13 PM   #15
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by fogelbise
-oh, another question: I browsed someone's files who i was downloading from and the file i was downloading did not show...anyone know a reason for this...all files shown were much smaller than the one i was downloading. So how can i also be sure all of mine are showing in browse. some are because people who's queue i am in, jump in my queue for trades so are obviously finding the files i have.
This happens because browsing is limited, both on OpenNap servers and on WPNP. Browsing and searching (returning the search results) are the two activities that load the bandwidth of the servers most and to protect the functionality of the network there are varying limits on both.

On WPNP browsing is limited to 1001 files. If you connect to WPNP with more than 1001 files your whole file list will be sent to the appropriate supernode and it will also show up in search results to other users but when they browse you they will see only your first 1001 files (in some occasions even less, why this happens is unclear). It seems that the files that are shown are the ones that have been added first to your shared library (if you view the library.dat file in your winmx program folder with e.g. Notepad they will be at the top of the list). This is good to realize if you are sharing more than 1001 files and want to add some fresh tracks for your friends to browse - they won't probably see them however much they press the Refresh button as the new tracks get to the bottom of the list. But they can see them through searches so you can instruct them to do a search instead to get a hold of them.

On OpenNap servers the browse capping policy varies wildly between different networks. Some networks may allow you to browse even 10.000 files, some limit browsing to just one (!) file. To complicate things further, the servers may apply different limits depending on their loading status... during low traffic a server may allow you to browse thousands of files and when heavily loaded perhaps only 500. I have also noticed that on linked servers (forming a network) there may be a stricter limit on what you can browse from users on other servers than from those on the same server with you.

To see how your library shows to others on an OpenNap server you can hotlist yourself and then browse your own library. To do this, click the top-left corner system icon of your hotlist window and select Add User...In the dialog that opens, add your own nick and choose the network you are on. When you see yourself on your hotlist right-click your entry and choose Browse. This way you can check how organized/interesting etc. your library looks to others and applying the Full Paths button in the search/browse window you can also check that your full pathnames don't reveal any too personal information that you don't want to share.

- tg

thanks for your kindest compliments Stoepsel, fogelbise & Snark!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote