View Single Post
Old 26-04-02, 06:03 PM   #11
Scyth

Quote:
Originally posted by Harbynger
What does this mean? Basically to a few gifted coders this kmd.exe file could be reverse engineered to become the ulitmate Leech client for the fasttrack network by using hash files made with the sig2dat program by Indy
This seemed plausible so I tried it out. Using sig2dat and in-memory modification of the kmd.exe executable, I was able to convince it to download a crystal method mp3 rather than the kazaa installer. However, I discovered a couple of hitches. First, in addition to matching the signature and file size, an exact file name match was also required in order to download the file. Second, after the download completed, kmd.exe immediately decided that it was invalid and deleted it (I was able to recover the download with an undelete utility though).

I discovered a few other interesting things. Kmd.exe scans for incomplete downloads it the same directory as it if they match the signature/size/name of the file its supposed to be downloading will resume them but won't scan for more sources. Also, if you create a file called kazaadebug.log in the same directory as kmd.exe, status information will be placed in it. Finally, if kmd.exe fails to find any sources for a file within an alloted time, it will switch to downloading the file from the web.
Scyth is offline   Reply With Quote