View Single Post
Old 25-04-05, 07:07 PM   #20
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Good find multi.
Quote:
Conservative ideologies, like virtually all other belief systems, are adopted in part because they satisfy various psychological needs. To say that ideological belief systems have a strong motivational basis is not to say that they are unprincipled, unwarranted, or unresponsive to reason or evidence. Although the (partial) causes of ideological beliefs may be motivational, the reasons (and rationalizations) whereby individuals justify those beliefs to themselves and others are assessed according to informational criteria.
Wow, I've never felt so in touch with my feelings as I do after reading this.
Quote:
Variables significantly associated with conservatism, we now know, include fear and aggression, dogmatism and intolerance of ambiguity, uncertainty avoidance, need for cognitive closure, personal need for structure, terror management, group-based dominance, and system justification.
Not to mention the sloping forehead and the lack of opposable thumbs. I thought this was an article about people.
Quote:
We regard political conservatism as an ideological belief system that is significantly (but not completely) related to motivational concerns having to do with the psychological management of uncertainty and fear. Specifically, the avoidance of uncertainty (and the striving for certainty) may be particularly tied to one core dimension of conservative thought, resistance to change.
It follows that Liberals on the other end of the political spectrum enjoy feelings of fear and uncertainty. Can this be right?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote