Thread: Mystery P2P
View Single Post
Old 19-01-04, 08:47 PM   #1
JackSpratts

Question Mystery P2P

In a report from London in today’s New York Times and International Herald Tribune, pirate hunters on the lookout for unauthorized software distributors claim to have stumbled across a new peer to peer site so mysterious it can’t even be Googled!

“The organization recently discovered a P2P site, whose name the investigator declined to make public, that offers verified downloads of innumerable programs and can even locate files invisible to other P2P programs. You will not find it through Google.

‘It's incredible how much you can get,’ he said. ‘It's too easy.’ ”

Since we happen to have a few members with more than a bit of experience in these matters yet so far none have any idea what this guy’s talking about, I’m of the opinion it’s peer-to-peer scareware – something designed to make good copy and rile up clueless lawmakers and nothing more; that it’s most likely a recognized albeit exotic application that may be uncommon but hardly unknown.

Still, I'd like to give them a little credit and assume they know something about their job and unless they’re lying the part about Google throws me. I’m not sure I can think of a client that doesn’t return a hit a from the search engine, not something with a working network stuffed with content anyway.

So I'm throwing it open to the greater P2P brain trust for speculation and comment.

The Details ~

· P2P SITE

· Verified downloads

· Innumerable programs

· Files invisible to other P2P programs (whatever that means)

· Not on Google

Any ideas?

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote