View Single Post
Old 10-09-02, 02:39 AM   #3
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Skylarks turned into Crows

Hello Nanook,

I'm glad you read the articles, they are rather heavy yes indeed, but I re-draw your attention to the section that allows you to recognise the sound differences by suggesting mouth movements typical in producing these difficult to produce sounds.

Hence the title, SACD can turn the sweet tinitinabulation of the skylark, into the raucus cacophony of a flock of crows..

I other words it removed the finest detail of sounds and replaces it with slushy, muddy squelch.. No ?

Well its difficult to describe, try rubbing your thumb & forefinger
together close to your ear, on a dry day, then wash your hands
and try it again, before they are completely dry, if you have good ears, you will hear the difference. Similar difference exist on fine delicate high frequency sounds between CD and SACD because of the limitations of the sampling.

If you ears are not that good, then chances are you will be wasting your money on even considering SACD, fortunately I only borrowed the gear from a reviewer, as part of the "Bust it and tell me about it" tests for the magazine review.

I agree totally with the report of extra clarity in the sub 8000Hz
region, but like the reviewer, the unwanted artifacts were disturbing to me, and all too familiar in the world of BAD MP3 rips.

Snark..
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote