Thread: Nightline
View Single Post
Old 02-05-04, 09:57 AM   #7
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

To clarify, I didn't mean to suggest that the "The Fallen" broadcast was rude. I agree with knife that it may even have been appropriate, and ABC can do whatever they want with their airtime. What I was calling rude is the images of death and bombings abroad that are displayed nightly. I myself avoid such news shows, having the free agency to decide what to watch or not watch on TV.

Never for a moment have I advocated "sweeping dead soldiers under the public carpet." Some of us may not understand what they are fighting for, but each one of them does. These dead should never be forgotten, neither should their conviction and dedication to liberty, because a soldier is more than just a name and a face on TV. They knew the price and they volunteered none the less, and for that we should be greatful rather than saddened by their sacrifice. If they can bear to give up their lives for something they believe in then we can bear to let them rest in peace and celebrate their lives rather than their deaths. Know the price of war, yes, and know also that it has been paid so that we are no longer in debt, hence the tallies are balanced and our cause has been justified and qualified by the actions of free individuals. If they have decided that this fight is worth dying in then who are we to question them?
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote