Thread: Nightline
View Single Post
Old 30-04-04, 08:27 PM   #5
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by Mazer
I can't claim to know their motivations, but but to suggest that their motivations are not partly political would be silly. Teddy Koppel wouldn't waste his airtime with such sentimental nonsense unless he had a statement to make. Knowing the price of a war is highly important, but to understand value you also have to look at what we've accomplished and to do so would probably take longer than forty minutes. So like Sinclair says, to focus solely on the deaths of these soldiers belittles the cause for which they have sacrificed themselves. The loss of any soldier is unfortunate, but it makes me all the more greatful that I personally have not had to pay that price, and we have to realize that though these soldiers have fallen they did not fall in vain.

The flap isn't necessarily a phobic response to public opinion about the war, it's just a reaction to the media's morbid obsession with war and death. Most people don't think about death all the time, but when we do we try to be humble and mindful of those who loose the most, namely the families of the soldiers. The media seems not to understand this, and the way they thrust these images upon the public is inconsiderate if not rude. They have no shame, and if they did I wouldn't be opposed to the media's coverage of the war because it would mean that their broadcasts would be more honest. They're interested in ratings, pure and simple, and not even the death of soldiers is sacred when it comes to attracting advertizers. I'm sorry Knifey, I don't see anything noble about this so called "tribute."
i don't see anything noble about it either, Mazer, but nor do i see anything political. i can't claim to know Koppel's motivation either, but i can guarantee you exactly what his producers' and ABC's motivation is: ratings. it's sweeps week...and these guys are far more interested in their ratings than anything else. the recital of the Iraq war dead makes for good tv and the controversy it generated is a bonus for ABC. i think those who think the show is an effort to promote some political agenda give ABC far too much credit.

so is it appropriate tv? a lot of people would say yes, if it's done tastefully and with dignity. i personally think it's completely appropriate to remind the public that the 6 or 8 or 10 US soldiers that are dying daily have names and faces.

but unlike Mr. Sinclair, i'm not at all clear what "cause" these men have died for...and neither is about half the country, according to the polls. in the ever-shifting rationale for the invasion of Iraq, Americans are questioning their leaders, as well they should. imo, highlighting the cost of this war is particularly appropriate when the question of whether it was worthwhile is still being debated by half the population.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote