Thread: Nightline
View Single Post
Old 30-04-04, 06:58 PM   #2
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I can't claim to know their motivations, but but to suggest that their motivations are not partly political would be silly. Teddy Koppel wouldn't waste his airtime with such sentimental nonsense unless he had a statement to make. Knowing the price of a war is highly important, but to understand value you also have to look at what we've accomplished and to do so would probably take longer than forty minutes. So like Sinclair says, to focus solely on the deaths of these soldiers belittles the cause for which they have sacrificed themselves. The loss of any soldier is unfortunate, but it makes me all the more greatful that I personally have not had to pay that price, and we have to realize that though these soldiers have fallen they did not fall in vain.

The flap isn't necessarily a phobic response to public opinion about the war, it's just a reaction to the media's morbid obsession with war and death. Most people don't think about death all the time, but when we do we try to be humble and mindful of those who loose the most, namely the families of the soldiers. The media seems not to understand this, and the way they thrust these images upon the public is inconsiderate if not rude. They have no shame, and if they did I wouldn't be opposed to the media's coverage of the war because it would mean that their broadcasts would be more honest. They're interested in ratings, pure and simple, and not even the death of soldiers is sacred when it comes to attracting advertizers. I'm sorry Knifey, I don't see anything noble about this so called "tribute."
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote