View Single Post
Old 08-03-02, 06:37 PM   #2
goldie
yea, it's me.

Default Re: That sneaky cd_clint.dll in Grokster

Quote:
Originally posted by petriburg
More confusion!!! I performed the clean install of Grokster
as explained so thoroughly by JS (in fact, I printed out the destructions he posted, to avoid mistakes). Everything seemed to go according to plan, except that my Windows|System folder did not contain an "old" cd_clint.dll to move to another folder.
But the rest of the install went exactly as directed.
Here's the mystery. When I booted up my computer this morning, a Grokster message box appeared on my desktop, looking for internet connection to update information. I complied with this.
Within minutes, I ran ad-aware, and found another cd_clint.dll had been downloaded! This, I deleted.
I then tried to open Grokster. No go - I was informed that an essential part of the programmme had been deleted!
I then re-installed Napho's cd_clint.dll, checked Grokster, and the application ran normally.
Did I omit something in the installation, or does this Grokster update box appear with every re-boot? I guess the thing to do is just cancel it out, if that is what happens.
Any further suggestions?
I think the problem is you need to rename the original cd_clint.dll file to oldcd_clint.dll. Take the newly renamed file and stash it away somewhere for safekeeping, ideally in another folder.

Take the new dummy cd_clint.dll you retrieved from napho's link and install it into either your Windows' system files or into Grokster's folder (I've found that either way works) but have just read that placing it into the Grokster folder is ideal and guarantees no other proggie will try to access it.

I hate spyware!!!
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote