View Single Post
Old 23-03-05, 01:16 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Knife - did you even read the "CLARIFICATION" - February 2005

The report jointly issued by Focus on the Global South and GRAIN in October 2004 on Iraq's new patent law has received a lot of attention worldwide. It has also generated a misunderstanding that we wish to clarify.

The law does not prohibit Iraqi farmers from using or saving "traditional" seeds. It prohibits them from reusing seeds of "new" plant varieties registered under the law - in practical terms, this means they cannot save those seeds for re-use. The report has been revised to express this more clearly.

didn't know that had already been posted Miss S...

Sinner, what part of the link didn't you think i read? the part you reposted?
yup, i read that it doesn't apply to seeds they already have - that's not the point of the post. the point of the post is this: by allowing Monsanto et al to insert this into the CPA rules, we then set up thousands of Iraqi farmers to be the next Homer McFarlings, because the only new varieties allowed into Iraq are gonna be from corporations, not individuals. Iraq is a breadbasket of the Middle East and the genetic origin of wheat. should US agribusiness be allowed to own that heritage?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote