View Single Post
Old 20-02-04, 09:30 PM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally posted by Drakonix
I think it would be fair to compare the record of G. W. Bush, Jr. to his predecessor in office.

Wanna talk about William Jefferson Clinton's record:

- on telling the truth?
- on military service?
- on foreign policy?
- on domestic policy (especially health care)?
- on personal behavior issues?

Oops, I forgot - It's only fashionable to blast Republican presidents.
Clinton was a slimeball - no argument here telling the truth, military service, and personal behaviour are clearly areas where he fell down... but since they are also issues of a personal nature - i never saw them impact national policy. frankly, since any politician basically sells his soul to get to high office, i really don't expect much in the way of character from our leaders. Clinton's character defects never really bothered me.

with health care, Clinton's reach exceeded his grasp. but i didn't mind the effort to formulate a national health care plan because the free market approach to health care is not improving the price or quality of this country's health care system. in foreign policy,
Clinton arguably had more failures than successes.

with that said, i don't think it's possible to quantitatively compare administrations - way too many variables that change from one administration to the next. all you can do is look at the current guy and decide whether you like the way things are going under his leadership. imo, the fact that Bush is Republican is only minimally relevant.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote