View Single Post
Old 12-03-06, 01:17 PM   #3
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumwaldo
with the great minds that patronize this forum i find it hard to believe that nobody has any thoughts on the recent lawsuits filed against usenet indexing sites.

before i go spouting off i was wondering if anybody has any thoughts they would like to vocalize regarding these potentially landmark lawsuits.

peace,
dumwaldo
hey waldo, by all means, spout off. i'd like to hear your opinion. you can't hear mine on the specifics because i'm not a user, not that my mind's all that great anyway.

in general i'm against constraining information in a free society, even if it seems to lead to security & profit issues. i have zero sympathy for media conglomerates, and barely any more for well meaning political leaders, such as there are.

not that i assign any metaphysical values to my philosophy, but i consider locking up knowledge "evil," and letting it out in dribs and drabs only slightly less so. i'd call it criminal, but that's a statutory description, and as we unfortunately know, inaccurate at this present time. it happens, but it's the rare circumstance where hoarders of information get prosecuted.

knowledge belongs to the world. if people don't like it they should exit the info business and leave it for those who appreciate this.

as for untested take-down notices and nzb sites caving, well, it's another example of this culture's visceral hostility towards individual independence, in spite of it's ambivalence towards "kleptocracies." honestly though, i'd like to see a little backbone, at least one in a while.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote