View Single Post
Old 11-03-02, 04:11 AM   #15
floydian slip
===\/------/\===

I was looking for over an hour for this because I wanted to know too! so, I found this interview w/ David Gilmour, CK is the interviewer.

Quote:
CK: In 1975, Pink Floyd signed with Columbia records in America, and released _Wish You Were Here_. Expanding on three themes explored in _Dark Side of the Moon_, lonliness, alienation, and madness, _Wish You Were Here_ was unofficially dedicated to Syd Barrett. To get a better idea how a Pink Floyd album evolves from mere thought to finished product, we asked David Gilmour how they create that special atmosphere that is part of every Pink Floyd record.

DG: We just have a sound in mind, we want to create something, and we try to create it. It's very simple, it's quite easy to make an audio illusion, you know, to create one, like you know, a door opening and people being behind that door. It's a very easy thing to do. You just have a sound of this thing, the buzzing "mmmmmmmmmmm" of the door opening well you've got to get some sort of humming noise and then you just fade up a fader with talking and laughing and clinking of glasses noises. And as you get "mmmm" you just push up this fader at the same time and it sounds just like the door's opening and you can suddenly hear all these people on the other side of it.

(Have a Cigar plays)

DG: We actually recorded a car radio, with a microphone out there, and, um, just spun through a few stations, and, um, got all these sounds and then we went and made the sound of our track match up with those. We sort of made horrible EQ things on the desk to try and make it sound as nasty as what was coming off the radio. So the next turn went straight to our own artificial one that we'd just created. It's dirt easy, I mean that stuff is *not* difficult, you've only got to have a little bit of imagination and want to do it and then you work out how to do it.

(Wish You Were Here plays)
To tell you the truth, I dont think one can ever know if Rog and Dave were just screwing around with radio stations. But if its in a book my freind can tell us. Some head probably documented it somewhere.
floydian slip is offline   Reply With Quote