View Single Post
Old 22-04-03, 11:59 PM   #20
Fantom
Down like a clown Charlie Br.. Down like a clown Charlie Br..

Stuff I use

Soulseek: Ranks as number 1. I think Jack once said "It's the folders", and I agree that's what makes this client so cool for me. Browse User, Download by folder. Too easy. There are lots of folks with similar tastes in punk music to mine, and I've made some good friends with this client. The server just came back up, hopefully it will stay stable for a bit.

Kazaa Lite: With multiple searches I can usually find just about anything if I leave it continually searching for 10 minutes. But it sucks for albums - Soulseek users are more reluctant to cut you off, and "Browse user" is more effective with Soulseek. Kazaa is very good for movies if you are careful about fakes.

Smaller communities: Like this one. Using any transfer methods available, usually FTP & Mirc. Even ICQ

I'm still capped to a few GB per month so I gotta be pretty selective. But I can switch to dialup overnight which adds up. I usually grab 2 albums per night from unixpunx with dialup.

There are still some cool HTTP sites out there too. South Park episodes are why I got online a few years back, and there are still some really good sites for those.

I also like to save streaming content, stuff that you're only meant to be able to view when streaming. Including flash content (games etc), there is Windows Media, Real Media, Shoutcast etc. When you only get a few GB per month from the ISP, it seems a waste not to save the files whilst viewing them. So I have an assortment of ripping programs like asf recorder, streambox ripper, streamripper etc.

I like ROMS and have collected most of 'em. Purely academic purposes of course. For the uninitiated, a quick explanation is in order. ROMs are the binary information transferred from a game cartridge or arcade machine to a PC. The game can then be played on a PC using an emulator. The files are very small, but the game is exactly the same as the arcade or console version. It's amazing how many games are available. Literally tens of thousands. So a complete ROMSET for C64 would be all the games that were ever released for the old Commodore 64. All the handheld games are being emulated too, Gameboy Advance is particularly popular. You can even buy a flashcard and cable to play the downloaded roms on the actual Gameboy. Too cool. I find it much easier, more fun, and better value for bandwidth to collect thousands of ROMS instead of downloading one big commercial game.

There are lots of good sites for ROMS but there are ever more bad sites, so it's frustrating. The best place is forums that provide reliable links, IRC & FTP.

There are also other sources I use for all kindsa files, but they kinda fall into the communities category too
Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote