View Single Post
Old 23-03-05, 02:11 PM   #8
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Here is Order 81 http://www.iraqcoalition.org/regulat...atents_Law.pdf

Nowhere does it say Iraqis must use GMO seeds. They can continue to farm the way they have for years. Order 81 is a WTO-style patent for protections on genetically engineered crops.

Also

A quote form Chris Horner the spokesman for Monsanto,- "For the record, Monsanto has no plans to introduce biotechnology in Iraq," -- "It doesn't fit with our business plans." If security and other factors improve, Horner says, "there could be opportunities for conventional seeds and chemicals. ... I would not characterize it as an emerging market." The outcry about Order 81 has "no basis in fact," says Horner. "How many new patented seed varieties are there in Iraq? Zero."

This is not an Iraqi problem, these laws have been around for years, i am not saying this law is right but to say Bush and America is trying to control farmers in Iraq is complete Bullshit. Want something to argue --

---Under NAFTA, "there wasn't supposed to be genetically modified corn coming to Mexico," yet GMO corn from the United States was discovered there in 2001. This February, a coalition of 70 groups from six Central American and Caribbean countries announced that GMOs – specifically, the infamous StarLink maize not authorized for human consumption – had been detected in U.N. food aid and commercial imports from the United States.---

Again i am not saying I am for these laws but that article is BS.....
the article about Mexico illustrates the potential problem ...GMO is not supposed to be in Mexico but there it is. so who owns it? well, under existing patent treaties, i guess whoever GMO'd it, owns it. so, like Homer McFarling, whomever owns the land where it's growing owes Monsanto (or whomever) money, no matter how it got there, right?

and do you really believe that CPA order 81 got written without any influence from the companies who will stand to benefit?
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote