View Single Post
Old 31-07-01, 04:46 PM   #3
assorted
WAH!

Quote:
Originally posted by Yeah-I-Did-It
Going to have to disagree. Sorry!
No problem since I don't actually have an opinion yet. Having downloaded all the mp3s I need, I just tried out a lot of these for the first time out of curiousity.

Quote:

Gnutella may give more results but it also has several trade offs. Difficult to learn for the newbee. Insane bandwidth usage for nothing limits it solely to broadband. Its out but of use when all else fails.
I absolutely agree. That "test" I did was for results only. I think I'm going to add on to that article for the next test mentioning whether I was actually able to COMPLETE a download (or, how long it took me to begin downloading and completing a file).

Also, I mentioned that for dialups Gnucleus/Gnutella was essentially not an option.

Quote:
Audiognome well here is another problem to get good results you have to really search for other Ag users to get alot of the unpublished servers.
That test was done without the aid of any unpublished servers. I am hardly in good graces with AG people. Those were the servers I had when I downloaded it "out of the box". The only catch is I had a server list from about 6-7 months ago from an older version of AG. But I doubt many of those work anymore and assumed they were replaced by AG.

Quote:
Now there is winmx. Depending on what I look for I often get more results from it than I do opennap but I also have a few of my own tricks that I found work well to improve searches. Nice thing here is one connection no hassle ready to go. Unlike Ag and Gnutella. I have also noticed that file quality is often better on the WPNP than opennap "newer codecs encoded with Lame or Fhg producer pro" = simply better files!
Here was the point of my test. I keep hearing that WinMX gives better search results than Morpheus/Kazaa. From my even scarce use of Morpheus and WinMX recently, I just knew that wasn't true. So I did that test to try to "prove" it as well as one user could.

I believe OpenNap gives better results then WinMX. Initially, I thought AG/OpenNap sucked ass for results. Then, I spent a little more time connecting to servers. It ended up I was connected to only half of the potential servers I could have been connected to. I just needed to take a little more time connecting to as many servers as possible. Once I did, my results doubled, and I used those figures for the test.

I agree, that is a pain in the ass. For ease of use, AG and Gnucleus/Gnutella aren't even in the running. But most of us hardcore folks just care about results. And, if your shopping for ease of use, why not use Morpheus instead of WinMX (which was giving me equal if not consistently better results?)

I haven't dealt with bitrate quality yet. I will once I figure out a fair way too evaluate it. Though I'm dubious of any idea that quality is "better" on one server then another. (Though I'm willing to be proven wrong!). IRC and newsgroups so far are the only places I've seen that consistently show 100% caring by it's members and servers for the quality and encoding of their files.

Quote:
My favorites are Audiognome Winmx and when all else fails Kazaa. But that is me and what I look for while the next user may have another choice of programs. It all comes down too preference and what you look for. Nice thing is now we have plenty to choose from with more programs and networks showing up every week!!
Completely true. I don't think the post-Napster world is bad at all; in fact; nothing really seems to have changed except that I have to own 3 programs!