View Single Post
Old 22-02-02, 04:02 PM   #7
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by JackSpratts

If I'm ever to buy it at all, I'd prefer getting it directly from the artist. I just can't figure what good a label's for today...

- js.
I completely agree, that's a good statement and point you made JS. With today's technology and the internet any band can promote themselves and sell their own albums as long as they are willing to do the work themselves. A lot of profossional quality recording equipment is now cheaper and available to many users. They could also go to a studio and record their albums if they don't want to do it themselves. All it takes it that one time and they can burn as many copies to sell using their own computers. They can also upload it to the internet to promote themselves.

If their band really starts to take off, they can always hire someone to make a professional looking cover design and then go directly to some CD manufacturer and see if they can mass produce their albums. If that can't be done they can always keep it small and keep burning the CDs themselves. Doing it this way they will retain all the profits(minus expenses), but they might not have the "prettiest" looking CD.

Quote:
I like Courtney Love's analogy: the record companies have traditionally been the gatekeepers and they are desperately trying to keep that as a necessary part of the process...
I think most bands think that it is still a necessity to have a record label. All the music traded through p2p networks proves this wrong, because unless someone tells you, you don't know who the record label is. The only thing needed is the music so the record labels have no reason to exist.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote