View Single Post
Old 08-10-04, 12:24 AM   #38
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
Almost everyone's health is in their own hands. I've seen studies indicating that 80% of US healthcare costs are a result of lifestyle choices.
I'd love to read the same papers. If it's a COI study, you'd do well to give it a wide birth - they're notoriously inaccurate. On an aside, if I were to use the term 'lifestyle choices', there's very few costs that would fall outside of its scope. I'd have to read the paper first - if you've got a link or a library number, I'd be interested.
Quote:
Give a drug addict top notch treatment for his overdose and he'll survive to need a second round later.
Agreed. Statistically speaking, placing a bet on this occurrence would be safer than placing it on a roulette wheel.
Quote:
A fat guy I worked with once commented his doctor would kill him if he saw the sausage and bacon he was eating after two bypass operations. People should face the consequences of their own choices or they'll have no reason to make better ones, and I shouldn't be billed for their choices.
Agreed. It is frustrating watching someone slowly killing themselves - especially when they've been given a reprieve, only to squander it like an idiot.

You make valid points regarding the stupidity and irresponsible attitude of people and it's net effect on your premium. But as I stated earlier, you are choosing to ignore the factors that are out of your control...
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, people are sometimes unfortunate. Why should I pay for it. I'll have my own problems in my life and my savings are for those.
But the fact is that people don't always have your luck/talent/finance. Yet you would condemn them? Like I also said, this is a fundamental difference in philosophy - I doubt either of us would change.
Quote:
Should I pay for a new house when someone's is hit by lightning and burned...not their fault right?
If I had money to help out, I would. If I had some spare time to help build their house, I would. I suspect that most people would help in some way - collectively.
Quote:
People should have the sense to prepare for these things like I have.
Famous last words, albed.
Quote:
Nope. I said you'll get more sick people. Along the border with Mexico there are a lot of illegal immigrants coming over to get the subsidized healthcare. One slightly wacky girl I know got herself listed as psychiatrically disabled and actually got disability checks. More sick people.
Ah. Immigrants.
Quote:
You get into some silly reasoning and twisted definitions: 'unmet need' I guess means 'sick people'...
It's a well-used healthcare phrase.
Quote:
...but you don't seem able to convey your opinion in clear realistic terms which I often notice in people who don't understand and just 'feel' a certain way.
I apologise for not 'understanding'.

Thankyou for your thoughts, albed.
-------------------------------------------
PS: malva - cheers for the iespell link!
-------------------------------------------

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote