View Single Post
Old 07-10-04, 11:14 AM   #36
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambourine-man
On the one hand, you are correct. Such economic unfairness does occur. Some people - unfortunately, relatively few - will go through their lives never once requiring medical care. How unfair it must seem to have to pay for "another person's" care.
Part of my point. But it takes some effort and discipline to stay healthy; and money: my treadmill, weight equipment, suppliments and time are already part of my health care costs and taking my money for someone who's money goes to beer, cigarettes, drugs, etc. doesn't "seem" unfair, it is unfair.

Quote:
However, you seem to be labouring under a delusion regarding the social ettiquette or intelligence of illness. You seem to believe that your health is largely in your hands - which it is, and that all other factors are perhaps negligable - which they're not.
You're rambling into metaphysical nonsense with those silly terms, stick with health.

Almost everyone's health is in their own hands. I've seen studies indicating that 80% of US healthcare costs are a result of lifestyle choices. Give a drug addict top notch treatment for his overdose and he'll survive to need a second round later. A fat guy I worked with once commented his doctor would kill him if he saw the sausage and bacon he was eating after two bypass operations. People should face the consequences of their own choices or they'll have no reason to make better ones, and I shouldn't be billed for their choices.

Quote:
Get this, some people who have lung/throat cancer have never smoked a cig in their life, some people who have skin cancer aren't sun worshippers nor have they spent half their life under a UV lamp. Some people whose liver has packed up haven't lived life with a bottle of scotch in their hand. Some people who have blood diseases didn't contract them through their own actions - they didn't 'ruin their own health'.
Yeah, yeah, people are sometimes unfortunate. Why should I pay for it. I'll have my own problems in my life and my savings are for those. Should I pay for a new house when someone's is hit by lightning and burned...not their fault right? People should have the sense to prepare for these things like I have.

Quote:
OK. At this point you appear to be saying that the premiums are subsidized by Government so that people can afford them, and that this...

... encourages people to be ill?
Nope. I said you'll get more sick people. Along the border with Mexico there are a lot of illegal immigrants coming over to get the subsidized healthcare. One slightly wacky girl I know got herself listed as psychiatrically disabled and actually got disability checks. More sick people.

You get into some silly reasoning and twisted definitions: 'unmet need' I guess means 'sick people' but you don't seem able to convey your opinion in clear realistic terms which I often notice in people who don't understand and just 'feel' a certain way.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote