View Single Post
Old 07-02-02, 10:06 AM   #5
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Me?

Tried loads..

Napster, of course Crap no resume but good for chat

Imesh, fiddly damn hard to get to grips with

Bearshare, kept crashing, very clichy set of users?

Limewire, lasted a day, before dumped, cant remember why now?

Edonky, sat for two days trying to find files, and download them

Audiognome (early version) good but lacked individual contact

Audiogalaxy, didn't know about the spyware free version, removed and system re-formatted PDQ?

Winmx 1.81, Ah now this IS a system with potential, great stuff on it, masses of files, apps etc.

Winmx 2.01, same as before, lot more stable.

Winmx 2.5, ditto, never crashed in weeks of use.

Morpheus, after the MusicCity servers vanished on WinMx.
Crappy interface, listing screens didn't stay where they were set
downloads real slow, very dangerous if sharing content not carefully controlled, Sorting lists caused crashes, popups likewise, needed a Memory watcher to stopp memory gobbling causing crashes is 2 hours, couldn't leave it on overnight at all.

Winmx 2.6, stable, lovely display, total control of bandwidth on upload/download, many many users, WPNP network a lot more secure than Morpheus, still eats memory a little, needs memory watcher, to run for a week at a time (I go away a lot)
Still has some features not implemented, like throttle controls on individual uploads, bot hopefully version 3 will complete the best of all P2P clients (In my opinion).

Blubster, tried it as it was new and different, workd fine with its smaller user base, idea for 56k dialups, crashed viciously on my cable system, never found out why?

Audiognome, latest patched version, loads of servers, usefull for finding servers for use with WinMx, servers that actually seem to be there more than a few hours? (how long does it take for the trippy server file to get out of date? A day or so?)
Chat is fine, search probably not as good as WinMx though, loads of content, all sorts (with patch) else MP3 and a few others only.

So as you can gather, WinMx my favourite, now 3.0 is here, what else is there to say?

Snark... (Shrist this is my longest ever post )
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote