View Single Post
Old 02-04-02, 02:35 AM   #7
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Smoketoomuch
I think this "project" has very great potentials if they know how to use it and alienating us, the backbone of their business model, by abusing our trust is just not a clever way to do business. But seeing how Morpheus screwed up or the stupidity of RIAA, I'm not too optimist...
I hear you Smoke and I agree that the technology of distributed computing combined with p2p holds great potential - if it is developed in an open and honest interaction with the p2p communities that are to provide the computing resources and bandwidth to the platform. But when it is introduced in such a sneaky way by a company who is the "Rich Media Silver Vendor of DoubleClick, Inc." and whose "technology passed the DoubleClick tests for functionality, impression tracking and click tracking" there is nothing good to be expected for the p2p from it. It does not help the p2p revolution; it just provides a perfect and virtually uncontrolled channel for adware/spyware companies to get access to our computers. The fact that company's Internet syndication partners include "Warner Bros. Online, Roadrunner and selected sites from the Universal Music Group" does not promise anything good either.

Well, I have to say that I am very skeptical that Brilliant Digital would succeed in what they are trying. Even in technical terms the challenge is very tough - not to talk about the music and movie industries' response to somebody building a distributed computing business on a free mp3/movie trading network. Should Brilliant Digital together with Kazaa and Grokster try to please the RIAA and the MPAA by wrapping files to proprietary formats and blocking copyrighted content the remaining FastTrack user base would evaporate in no time.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote