View Single Post
Old 06-03-07, 10:33 AM   #154
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab-NORM-al View Post
that rocked!!! thanks

fond memories of The Pinecrest Country Club, Shelton, CT....ring a bell Jack? often advertised on WPLR radio

many shows there around '77...Jeff Beck...Nantucket...The Outlaws (got autographs and tried to smoke a bowl with Hughie Tomlinson ...but, too many people crowded around)

a small private place that we would sneak into from the back woods ....after some time, they got security staff, if we spotted security (they wore yellow shirts :duh: :rolleyes: )...we'd act like we were peeing on a tree, as many male concert-goers did pee on trees at the time ...we'd then proceed 'back' to the show....worked every time

i sometimes paid to get in cuz you couldn't get a beer without an armband, age didn't matter ...oddly
never had the pleasure, but i knew the jocks at plr from my days at hcn. the shaboo ballroom was my place. what a firetrap! man. a giant old barn made entirely of creaking timbers and packed beyond capacity by optimistic babyboomers looking for a little weekend adventure. woah was the music hot. no stage, bands on the same level as patrons, wailing away just inches from the dancers...and plenty of woods for special activities. later after that scene ended and i moved to wccc we started a new thing at west hartford's agora ballroom. a industrial style concrete cavern just over the tracks in what had been an old bowling alley. no worries about fire there, although i was nearly immolated backstage at a plasmatics concert one friday night when a flashpot exploded seconds after i had been standing over it. it was pitch-black and i couldn't see a thing - until it blew. that got my attention. had an angel on my shoulder that night, or something.

connecticut had some great scenes during this era, propelled by a lingering 60s ethos and a drinking age of 18. paper licenses were easily alterable, meaning most clubs were packed with kids in their 20s all way down to 14 or 15, which is just about the age i started going out.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote