Thread: here we go
View Single Post
Old 05-11-05, 08:07 PM   #9
albed
flippin 'em off

OMG he's still at it:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9883824/
Quote:
MATTHEWS: What about the husband notification? Does that bother you?

DEAN: It bothers me in the fact that the Bush people seem to insist on inserting the government into people's private family business. And this is a private family matter, not a government matter. To have the government insinuate itself in a relationship between husband and wife I think is a mistake.

MATTHEWS: But that was the Pennsylvania law, and that was passed by a governor, Democratic Governor Bob Casey.

DEAN: I don't care who it was passed by.

MATTHEWS: But it wasn't the Bush people. You said the Bush people did it.

DEAN: No, but this administration continually wants to insert themselves into family business. The Terri Schiavo case, that's the family business, not the government's business. All these abortion cases, that's a family's personal business. That's not the government's business. And we'd like to keep the government out of people's private, personal lives.

MATTHEWS: But the Democratic Party are a pro-choice party, period?

DEAN: The government...

MATTHEWS: The Democrats, your party, is a pro-choice party?

DEAN: No. My party respects everybody's views, but my party firmly believes that the government should stay out of people's personal lives.

MATTHEWS: But you are a pro-choice party? Are you not? You sound like you're against ever being pro-life. Are you pro-choice?

DEAN: I'm not against people for being pro-life. I actually was the first chairman who met for a for a long time with pro-life Democrats.

MATTHEWS: This is the complicated thing for people. The people believe the Republican Party, because of its record, supports the pro-life position. Does your party support the pro-choice position?

DEAN: The position we support is a woman has the right to make -- and a family has the right to make up their own mind about their health care without government interference.

MATTHEWS: That's pro-choice.

DEAN: A woman and a family have a right to make up their own minds about their health care without government interference. That's our position.

MATTHEWS: Why do you hesitate from the phrase pro-choice?

DEAN: Because I think it's often misused. If you're pro-choice, it implies you're not pro-life. That's not true. There are a lot of pro-life Democrats. We respect them, but we believe the government should...

If you're pro-choice, it implies you're not pro-life.

Oh yeah, Howard Dean has a firm grasp on the democratic platform. Not to mention reality.

Is it really optimistic to forsee another republican president? Or realistic?

Last edited by albed : 05-11-05 at 08:57 PM.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote