View Single Post
Old 13-10-06, 03:50 PM   #25
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I agree. There is no peace without cooperation. But without a common set of goals, the people of this nation will never take it in the new direction it needs to go.

I've said before that the United States is in its adolescent years. Perhaps empire is the adult stage of a nation like ours. We don't necessarily need a monarch to qualify us as an empire, but we do need to be united. We wouldn't be able to send mixed messages to the rest of the world like we're doing now. We would need to give up the twin hyprcrisies, political correctness and multiculturalism, and become one nation with one people. A lot of people don't want that.

I don't think there's much chance of America becoming an empire any time soon. There's too much at stake to challenge the status quo. And yet we can't preserve the status quo either. The world is changing with or without our influence. Whether we choose to keep our republic or evolve it into an empire, we'd better figure out how to agree on who we are and what we want.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote