View Single Post
Old 07-02-02, 09:51 AM   #3
zombywoof

I know of most of these apps in the 101 list. These are apps I have saved on my pc or have backed up on cd that I currently use or have used at one time:

Napster - No explanation needed

Napigator - Nice enhancement to napster app for access to opennap servers.

Abe's MP3 Finder - One of the first ones I used. Not much for finding popular music.

Audiognome - Great app. My favorite.Between the PNP and opennap server connctions, lots of music files available.

Audiogalaxy - Good for finding rare stuff.

Bearshare - Errattic connections to their servers. Its hit and miss.

CleanLimewire - The Best gnutella client IMO. Nice improvement over the spyware versions. Lots of successful downloads.

ComTry Music Downloader - An old app I use to use. Together with gozilla, this app scoured the net in search of ftp or http sites.

CuteMx - Great mp3 and other media file app. On a peer with Napster until it shut down.

Direct Connect - Nice app lots to be found but some of the requirements to get on to the servers is sometimes 60GB minimum. My HD alone is not big enough for some of these minimums. Server ops tend to be elitist on these servers.

Dopeflish - Tried it once, uninstalled it. Forgot why though.

Edonkey - When able to connect, lots of apps to be found there.

FileNavigator - Good client when napster was in its heyday. and Music City servers before they switched to the kazaa platform. Also connecteded opennap servers. An excellent all in one to connect to the nap, musiccity and opennap network. Havent used this one for a long time.

Freebase - Used it when it first came out. Nice app that never took off and no longer available.

FTP - Public and Private. Great way to fileshare.

Grokster - Morpheus/Kazaa clone.

Gnutella - Never able to connect with the .50 or the .056 versions.

Gnotella - Same as gnutella.

Gnucleus - Excellent gnutella app. Would like to use it but crashes ever since I installed XP

Hotline - Did not like it. Messy GUI. Unable to connect. Did not take the time with this app.

iMesh - Nice app. Comparable to Limewire(not CleanLimeWire)

Kazaa - Good app when able to find >128k mp3's and movies.

Limewire - Good gnutella client. I Prefer the CleanLimewire version though.
MP3 Wolf - An early app for me. Could only find music I never heard or liked.

MyNapster - FileNavigator clone.

Morpheus - Like Kazaa minus spyware. Could be next on the apps that go down the tubes via pay route.

Napamp - Winamp Plugin. Great for leeching. No longer useful since napster is dead.

Newtella - Another gnutella app that was had difficulty connecting to gnutella network.

Napster Fast Search (NFS) - Powerful search Tool. Able to connect to 250 servers at once. I haven't used this one in a while.

Rapigator - FileNavigator clone.

Scour Exchange - Good as Napster was, more stable with more multimedia file choices that was shutdown.

Scour Media Agent - app that scoured the net for ftp and http sites. Pre Scour Exchange.

Songspy - Excellent app for finding mp3's. The one drawback was that it was bloated with unneeded features causing crashes. They came out with a new beta that is light of the bloat but I read somewhere that these karma points could be making their way into the riaa's hands. Don't know if thats the case or not. Have'nt used this app in quite a few months
Swaptor - a FileNavigator clone.

WinMx - One of the Best out there for mp3 sharing. v2.6 is the best version IMO. Still testing beta 3.

Xolox - I used this for a little while when it first came out. when connected, lots of files to be shared. Inability to connect consistently made me uninstall this app. I didn't like that you had to manually download a server list and put it in the program file directory. No app should do this. Server updates IMO should be a seemless task.

I also use metasearch engines and http where p2p is not an option.

As for future p2p apps, I would like to see one come out that gives you the option to connect to any network at one time or simultaneously. An all-in-one p2p solution.

Last edited by zombywoof : 07-02-02 at 12:10 PM.
zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote