View Single Post
Old 09-08-02, 11:47 PM   #8
HellBound

Stevie Ray Vaughan - (Eric Clapton about SRV)

"I don't think anyone has commanded my respect more, to this day. The first time I heard Stevie Ray, I thought, "Whoever this is, he is going to shake the world". I was in my car and I remember thinking, I have to find out, before the day is over, who that guitar player is. That doesn't happen to me very often, that I get that way about listening to music. I mean, about three or four times in my life I've felt that way, in a car, listening to the radio, where I've stopped the car, pulled over, listened, and thought, I've got to find out before the end of the day, not, you know, sooner or later, but I have to know NOW who that is.

Eric Clapton
"My guitar is still my voice.
When I hear a piece of music in my head,
I don't hear a song, I hear the guitar part.
So I write words to that and sing it.
The guitar is first and foremost in my head...
I'll always try to play
with the most amount of soul through the guitar."
(Eric Clapton)

and a newcomer

Jonny Lang

B.B. King was impressed enough to invite Lang on stage to trade a few choruses. Lang, who shares King’s technique of answering his own vocals with short bursts of guitar fills, learned something just from standing on the same stage with the master. "He’s such a great influence," said Lang. "We toured together for a month and he invited me up on stage to jam. We had a blast. I’d look over at him and realize that I was sitting next to a legend." B.B. returned the compliment in the Los Angeles Times. "Jonny Lang’s 16, so he’s got youth and talent with it. When I was young, I didn’t play like I do today. So these kids are starting at the height that I’ve reached. Think what they might do over time."