Thread: Earth Station 5
View Single Post
Old 03-08-03, 02:19 AM   #22
Malk-a-mite

Default Ummm.... no.

Bits in bold are my emphasis.

"You are behind a firewall. You can still use Earthstation 5 but you are deprived of over half the files abvailable. If you can correct this situation, you will have access to many more files. This is not a EarthStation 5 problem, but a situation that exists with ALL File Sharing programs whether they tell you about it or not. You can fix the situation by allowing your firewall to permit/allow all traffic to/from all of the following ports: UDP:22548 TCP:33088 TCP:443 TCP:80 TCP 22821 plus UDP above 1023 and TCP (non-connections) above 1023 or you can tell ES5 to use ports you know are already permitting throught your firewall (Advanced Settings). You can leave this Message up while you correct the situation."

Well for starters I set up the firewall to directly block port 443 and for some reason running a web server I haven't verified as secure seems.... oh, what's the word... dangerous? Yea, that would be the word.

What's next - oh yea, allowing TCP above 1023 for non-connections.... how many people that have figured out the basics of Zone-Alarm level firewalls are going to have the slightest clue what that means? Hell, how many MCSEs will know what that means. In short you're going to have a bunch of near worthless firewalls open (incoming and outgoing at the suggestion of ES5) to every non-static port.

Wheeee - bust out the scanner and nmap, time to run amuck.....

*sigh*
===================

Last edited by Malk-a-mite : 03-08-03 at 12:25 PM.
Malk-a-mite is offline   Reply With Quote