View Single Post
Old 31-01-02, 07:48 AM   #13
Snarkridden
OpenNap Server Operator

Brows Thats unfair?

A bit harsh to me...

I always thought that the GUI was pretty ugly but designed to get the job done. And the Look-And-Feel of WinMX hasn't changed - still ugly but gets the job done

WinMx has always had a busy display, been able to show filenames, and numerous information about download/upload parameters, user details , and bandwith/queueing facilities, it has always been to top client to me, and I look forward to version 3.0 being more of the same with even better features.

The standard windows presentation is fine by me, with the comprensive colour setting features of both versions, it makes monitoring a dream, which is more than can be said for some of the other mostrosities that I've tried, at least when I fix a column arrangement how I want it, it stays that way, not like some other clients (Morph) that still have not a decent hold on user viewing requirments.

Who the hell wants a screen that resembles some 15 year olds artist representation of a half eaten dinner? Strangled at birth would be best for these monsterous "Skin" freeks, if its a CD player, I want it to look like one, with tactile buttons I can see and press, Creative Labs started it off, with decent looking application screens, even they got taken over by the cranky art student approach... Ok Its my Age showing, maybe, but give me a screen that is easy to use and pleasent to look at, not offensive to the eyes in some gorry colour that detracts from the visibility. WinMx has all the settings needed to do just that.

When the little oddities are sorted, great....!!

Now then the Bugs, so far.... NO AUTO-BUSY retry, an essential feature in todays busy times...

Crashes on trying to column sort an uncompleted search list, as did Morpheus I recall... remedy, be patient ot STOP the search before sorting the list.. (doesn't always happen, but I suspect itsa trying to sort by an empty field, and the error is not getting trapped?, but falling out to a system error, a dead stop one?)

Nothing else glaringly obvious Yet, in three hours of use... OPENNAP servers added by hand, don't forget to use the PORT address if its not 8888 (the default) by adding :3456 after the address (where the numbers are the port number of the server)

I have not tried the NapMx server list or the Trippy one, preferring to test with a few reliable and well known servers first, before letting it loose on all the smaller ones.

WPNP: very quiet, no more than 6 contacts made, sometimes takes 5 minutes to find a connect, and get known about.

Memory leak: Not evident in the few hours run so far, Running Mem-Watcher all the time, never exceded 90megs out of 256.

End of first report/Rant/comment

Snark.
Snarkridden is offline   Reply With Quote