View Single Post
Old 29-01-02, 10:30 PM   #9
pasoundman

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone
Not sure the term "dub" ever actually referred to the process of overdubbing (ie: disengaging the erase head on old tape decks, which usually degenerated the underlying sound quite a bit, and irreversibly changed the recording)

Sure it is - hence -'overdub' as opposed to 'dub'. Early tape machines were quite limited - not like modern digital recording. Still didn't stop some excellent recordings

I always thought the evolution of the term came more from "dub" in the sense of "making a copy." Not sure about international usage, but American musicians often will say "dub me off a copy," and we refer to dual cassette decks as "dubbing decks."

Yeah a straight dub is indeed a copy. Normally for home reference.

Anyway, splitting hairs really.

No problem.

Interesting tidbit about The Lamb Lies Down, always one of my favourite albums. (I suppose any time you let Eno into the studio, something is bound to start humming)

As to your comment about remixing being wimpish, all I can say is I'm generally not a huge fan of the remix, unless they are exceptional, and some few are. In the main, I don't understand the glamour of the whole Dj-ing remixing beat-merging thing really. There's enough NEW MUSIC waiting to be made to last for all eternity without needing to re-hash, re-vamp and sub-mix what's been done.

Quite !

Splitting hairs again.
pasoundman is offline   Reply With Quote