View Single Post
Old 22-10-05, 06:35 AM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl
Enthusiastic self-assigned volunteers stepped in to help with customer support, just as other inspired volunteers stepped in to virally market the service and thus save the company from all marketing costs. That sort of community based strategy might have even worked had it been properly organized, supported and coordinated. The company never did any serious moves into that direction though, and being left on their own these often active and talented volunteers naturally grew loyal to each other, distancing themselves from the weird non-communicative company. One by one they started to embrace the free p2p agenda where they could take their fate and activities into their own hands, thanks to the emerging open source p2p software.
none more enthusiastic than you, if i remember correctly in fact, Napster also introduced many (like me) to the forum experience...and while i might have gotten involved with forums elsewhere, it was indeed that strong sense of community on the Napster boards - that sense that i was indeed on the threshold of something quite revolutionary and that there were many others who felt the same - that got me hooked.

very nice look back, tg
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote