View Single Post
Old 10-06-01, 12:47 AM   #3
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

A good essay.

I believe there are a number of indicators that tend to show that the (recording) industry is using copyrights in an anti-competitive manner.

This corrupted use of copyrights violates the original intent of copyright protection.

The industry is getting intrusive and brazen.

The goal of any business is to make money. The objection is not to making money, or making too much money, it's how they are doing this.

The recording industry didn't want Napster to comply with copyright law, they wanted to kill the competition. The legal hoops of fire are doing just that.

There are also signs (like the payola matter) that the US Government is actively investigating the music industry. They just don't sink years of investigation into something unless they believe crime is being committed.

Well entrenched organized crime is very difficult to approach, with the borderline or illegal activities well covered by seemingly lawful business practices. It takes a while to gather enough evidence to close down such operations.

Unfortunately, it will most likely get worse before it gets better.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote