View Single Post
Old 13-09-02, 05:35 PM   #4
JackSpratts

i'm set to 5 too but the thing is like you Jadesun i'm capped at 128 but i can't give it all up because i need room for the upload conflict "back wash" or my modem will dump my connection unceremoniously! so i have winmx cap my u/l bandwidth at 100, leaving an avg of 20 kbs per user IF i'm not using another p2p. since i usually am my real world uploads are slower. still i manage send out 100 files per day so i'm doing my part i think.

here's a little faq about uploading and bandwidth conflicts from my other board, dsl reports.

Q: When I am simultaneously uploading and downloading my download speed drops to 25% of what it is when I am just downloading. Is this the nature of the ADSL protocol?? Are there any tweaks so that uploading doesn’t kill the downloading speed or is that just the way it is??

A: Since TCP/IP is based on store-and-forward of independent packets, any networking device maintains a queue of network packets to be sent out. if you do a large upload, your computer sends packets over ethernet as fast as it can to your dsl modem, where they are queued before they go over the slow dsl line. the modem may actually queue packets for up to a few seconds. so any new packet that is sent by your computer will have to wait a few seconds before it is finally sent out onto the "wire".

if you simultaneously do a download, the acknowledgement packets for your download will have to compete with the upload packets, and so they too will have to wait a few seconds before they are sent out. since this queue is in the modem, and not in your computer, your computer won't know it exists and can't make sure the ack packets jump to the front of the queue.

so, the computer you are downloading from sees acknowledgements to each of its packets arrive with quite a delay, and will therefore adjusts its sending speed to accommodate this (seemingly) slow connection.

to overcome this, the best way would be to limit your upload to just below the maximal upload speed you can achieve. that way, you won't build up a queue of upload packets in the modem, and ack packets will be sent out immediately.

~thanks to ruud

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote