View Single Post
Old 01-10-02, 01:33 PM   #3
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I like the idea of an opt-in DoS program that would replace the trojans and bots that make those attacks now. It would be the internet equivalent of a sit-in, and even though it is very illegal I think it would be an unstoppable and unignorable form of civil disobeidence.

To paraphrase Mowzer's theme I think the Internet is slowly transforming from frontier land into wild west; the natives and mountain men are being pushed out by claim jumpers, gun slingers, and wagon trains loaded with settlers. The once peaceful cyberspace is being flooded with novices, plastered with pop-up ads, and marginalized by governments and corporations. The internet is as yet a lawless land and nothing is permanent.

What specific sites would this DoS p2p app attack? The RIAA is an obvious choice but is that the only one, or shoud users be able to chose from a list? Or should they be able to chose any web site? It brings up a new possibility: web sites could have a infamy rating based on the number of attacks they recieve per day, like the way web sites' popularity is based on the number of hits they get. Companies could be formed just to track the number of attacks the various sites get, and eventually Windows would be bundled with a DoS program (hehe, maybe not).
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote