View Single Post
Old 16-04-02, 10:44 AM   #30
Spikologia

Default Re: What's the point?

Quote:
Originally posted by colinmacc
You've obviously spent alot of time thinking about this, but to be honest, what's the point?

You're never going to convert the "ignorant million" who have blindly downloaded Kazaa without even thinking about what else they've signed up to, or who is in control of their machines. Most of them are kids who don't know any better.

I just don't think it's worth the effort. While we can still use Kazaa Lite, or any other spyware-free versions of Grokster or IMesh, you might as well carry on doing this. So long as you stay vigilant about what's happening to your system you'll be OK. There was nothing particularly special about Morpheus 1.3.3, I wasn't even particularly fond of the graphics to be honest.

Ride the wave and enjoy it, don't struggle against the tide for no reason.
I must say I didn't really spent that much time for this - I found 1.4 and its behaviours by mistake in another project I was involved in, and now I thought this could be useful for something.
I agree I might have not made my point very clear, I hope I do it right this time:

Sharman Networks are for sure pissed of the situation caused by KaZaA Lite - naturally they can make no money this way. I'm 100% sure that if Cydoor wants to continue its existence, they're working right now as we speak to get a newer version of Cydoor which will make it much harder or even virtually impossible to produce Dummy Cydoor DLLs like the one KaZaA Lite is based upon. KaZaA will then release a new version which works with the new Cydoor, and eliminate all older releases by requring them to upgrade. Since a Dummy DLL can't be created for that new Cydoor, a new KaZaA Lite version can't be created, and all KaZaA Lite versions would be eliminated.

Or, Sharman could do a worse thing - they could drop the Cydoor model completely and partner with BDE to replace KaZaA with a subscibtion-based service, and of course eliminate all older versions including KaZaA Lite.

The only way to make sure FastTrack don't do what they did in the past with Morpheus, only this times without giving us any alternatives, is to act BEFORE they do.

We can only feel safe and stop worrying about this when we have a real alternative (hopefully giFT\OpenFT would be a very fine alternative once released).
Spikologia is offline   Reply With Quote