Thread: H.r. 1595
View Single Post
Old 08-05-07, 09:11 AM   #1
Sinner
--------------------

Default H.r. 1595

I am trying to figure this out, I will need some American input, esp. from the Left of Centre. (<--- That is how we spell “center” here in Canada..weird eh!?) ---

So there will be a vote today on Bill HR1595 –( the "Guam World War II Loyalty Recognition Act"), that states ---“ the people of Guam suffered unspeakable harm as a result of the occupation of Guam by Imperial Japanese military forces during World War II , by being subjected to death, rape, severe personal injury, personal injury, forced labor, forced march, or internment.”

If it passes the Secretary of the Treasury shall make payments to WWII survivors and their descendants on Guam for the brutal actions of Japan during WWII. The purposed bill “holds up $126,000,000.00 for the repayment of the people of Guam for what the Japanese did (as well as $5,000,000.00 for "the Secretary of the Interior [to] establish a grants program [to]...award grants for research, educational, and media activities that memorialize the events surrounding the occupation of Guam during World War II, honor the loyalty of the people of Guam during such occupation, or both, for purposes of appropriately illuminating and interpreting the causes and circumstances of such occupation and other similar occupations during a war"), your soldiers can't even get a dime in supplemental appropriations.”

Is this just another “blame America first” attitude the Democrats have? I know America is the largest Foreign Aid supplier in the world but maybe they should put a Bill together to get money to the troops fighting in Iraq. Should that be not be more important?

Going to add a story…

Quote:
In 146 BC the third Punic War, between the rising Italic city of Rome and the waning North African power of Carthage, came to a brutal and complete close. Provoked by little but suspicious memories of two previous wars with the Phoenician colony, Rome descended on the city with swift and terrible force, laying seige to Carthage and, following the immortal words of Marcus Portius Cato ("Carthago delenda est"), committed to remaining until the total destruction of the city had been achieved.

Thousands of Carthaginians died fighting against Rome, or from starvation as a result of the seige. In the end, Scipio Aemilianus, the adoptive grandson of Scipio Africanus (the hero of the second Punic War, who fought against the brilliant general Hannibal), stormed the city, burning the remaining people out and selling the survivors into slavery, after which he cursed and supposedly salted the ground, declaring that it would remain barren and uninhabited forever.

There are no pure descendants of the people of Carthage remaining today. However, there may well be those left alive who are descended in some form or fashion from those brutally conquered North Africans - and, if they can be found, the United States needs to pay them reparations for their suffering at the hands of Rome from America's own treasury.