View Single Post
Old 09-09-04, 08:02 PM   #22
legion
I took both pills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
Being just and being nice aren't necessarily the same thing, toy boy, though injustice is never nice. Those biblical examples you pointed out lead me to believe that God has to be fair but he doesn't need to be merciful. From an ethical standpoint I think fairness and mercy sometimes oppose each other, but that may depend on which side of the conflict your on, who the benefactor of justice is. These happen to be non-religious themes, cropping up throughout history without the benefit of devine revelation, but the fact that God subscirbes to these philosophies neither discredits nor adds weight to them. The bible is simply one source of wisdom.
Mazer, i do apologize for pointing out those biblical examples to be honest they were a cheap shot. However i do have a really hard time to find any justice and/or fairness in the death of 165 children, whether it is from an earthly standpoint or a devine one. But I guess that is my problem.

The bible is in my opinion a dangerous source of wisdom Mazer, don't get me wrong here if it is helpful to you than by all means use it. But history clearly showed that it has devided humanity more than it united us. Not to mention the fact that it was written by mortal men and badly while they were at it.

In an earlier post you wrote that free will was a gift yet i am pretty sure that you received your religion from your parents - or at least that is how it goes in i think 90% of al cases - so i am wondering did you 'search' for other religions or did you stick to the one you were brought up with? and is/was that your own free will (if there is such a thing anyways) there are religions out there that will turn families against each other if one of them tries to leave that particular church and there are entire countries where if you fall out of a certain religious group your life turns into a living hell (no pun intended)
Since i am not in the habbit of pissing people off when it comes to religion i would like to make clear that i do not mean your church with my previous remark

If you really meant it about stoping that self proclaimed ''religious rant'' feel free to pm me