View Single Post
Old 29-04-04, 12:25 AM   #15
tambourine-man
BANG BANG BANG (repeat as necessary)

I find it ironic (if not machiaveliian) that there appears to be a level of double standards going on here... hundreds of dead American soldiers are pouring back from Iraq (115 last month) and not a whisper... nothing. Nada. Instead, someone dares to take a picture of the caskets and gets fired.

This Tillman guy gets killed and he's 'a hero', 'a warrior' a 'true believer'. What a bunch of horse shit. As soon as a 'celeb' dies in action, the whole excuse for hiding coffins goes out the window, the politicos are clamouring to sing the man's praises: "He was an inspiration both on and off the football field. As with all who made the ultimate sacrifice in the war on terror, his family is in our thoughts and prayers" said Bush's statement... "I'm heartbroken... it's a heavy blow to our nation's morale, as it is surely a grievous injury to his loved ones" said Sen. John McCain, completely ignoring the fact that... remember children, "excessive press attention will only cause unnecessary suffering and pain for the bereaved families."

I could list another 10 or 12 names of cringeworthy 'tributes' that represent nothing more than political double-standards.

Fuck hero worshipping. Tillman might have been deluded enough to believe in a fool's errand, he might even be considered honourable in his ignorance, and I can certainly sympathise with his family, but the sycophantic and hypocritical ramblings of the tributes make me sick.

The reality is that, sadly, Tillman was as expendable as 'the next man' in Iraq. See if you get half of the Senate making personal tributes to 'the next man' when he's killed.

No fucking chance.

"I did not authorise the leaking of the name of David Kelly. Nobody was authorised to name David Kelly. I believe we have acted properly throughout" Tony Blair - July 22, 2003
tambourine-man is offline   Reply With Quote