Thread: Cheney
View Single Post
Old 23-11-05, 12:53 AM   #33
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Knife, the only person to suggest that anyone wants our troops to say there indefinitely is you, but it simply isn't true. While the Cheney spokesperson who you continually quote was obviously way off the mark when he suggested the invasion would take weeks, not months (and what authority does such a person have to make such a prediction anyway?), I think that phrase demonstrates this administration's strong desire to bring this war to a quick end. Iraq's government understands this, which is why they're working on this timetable. The word timetable implies that they want our troops to leave gradually over a period of time, otherwise they would simply have made an ultimatum. The simple fact is that there is a lot of work yet to be done, millions of man hours need to be invested, and the old saying 'many hands make light work' still applies. Decreasing our presence there too sharply will ensure that the work will never be done so I'm afraid we can't just cut and run.

I am of course writing from the presumption that peace is attainable in the middle east. Anybody who thinks civil war is a foregone conslusion is arguing from ignorance. Tribalism in the middle east gave way to federalism many generations ago, and since then Arabs and Iranians have learned to settle disputes diplomatically. Maybe they need more practice, but like I've said, nobody in the middle east wants open war among Muslims, with a few exceptions. Hell, maybe we should send Bono in to help the Shiites and Sunnis learn to get along.

At any rate, the defeatist attitude I've seen here and among Democrats in congress is ludacris. For the politicians, the call to remove our troops from Iraq is a calculated move, but for the rest of us regular folk it's just a symptom of the media's selective reporting. In truth progress towards peace continues and will continue, and frankly, the fact that any American thinks that this war or any war is unwinnable deeply saddens me. If that attitude had previaled during the early stages of the American revolution then there would be no United States to speak of because for more than a year we were on the loosing side of that war. Beating the odds has always been the American way and I hope it always will be.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote