View Single Post
Old 11-05-01, 04:36 PM   #3
HellBound

Where I work, we have so many skills assessments its kinda hard to get to the point of not having the skills needed for the job. What we have is almost the opposite, people doing jobs that they are over qualified for.

One of the programs that we have in our schools now is called WorkKeys. This test the students in 9th and 12th grade on 5 seperate areas, reading for information, listening for information, math, writing, and the 5th test is up to the schools. The test are then sent in to be scored. What the scores tell them is are they qualified to do certain jobs. The ACT has profiled different jobs from dishwasher to CEO in a company and each of the test have a level that lets you know which job you would be qualified for. Like for an electrician, they would need high scores in math, reading, and listening and if the student wanted to be an electrician and they took this test in the 9th grade and they scored low in any of these test, the student would know which classes they needed to take between 9th grade and 12th. Then in the 12th grade after they retake the test, they are giving certificates from out Chamber of Commerce with a listing of all 5 scores. They can put these certificates in with their resume to hand out to businesses when they apply for jobs.

The students know they are qualified and the business knows if they have the skills needed for certain jobs.

HellBound